Living with Positivity: an Interview with Dr. Barbara Fredrickson
Have you ever wondered why the world seems more expansive and open when you're in a good mood, and why your circumstances seem so narrow when you're feeling down? How can you nurture the good feelings so they last longer and have more powerful effects on your life?
Dr. Barbara Fredrickson, a leading scholar in the area of positive psychology and the author of the book Positivity, can answer those questions. Her "broaden-and-build" theory explains why positive emotions change your perspective on life and how they can help you accrue valuable emotional resources, such as resilience and mindfulness. She has also found, through over twenty years of research, that individuals need to keep a certain ratio of positive emotions to negative ones in order to flourish. Dr. Fredrickson's research has been featured in USA Today, Oprah Magazine, and the New York Times, among others. She has also caught the attention of the Dalai Lama, who invited Fredrickson to brief him on her research.
Watch the interview with Dr. Fredrickson below to learn more about her work and how positive emotions can affect your health and your life.
Skip ahead in the video to hear Dr. Fredrickson discuss:
0:23 How she describes "positivity"
1:07 How to deal with negative emotions
2:21 The ratio of positive to negative emotions that you should strive to maintain
3:57 How positivity can affect physical health
5:16 How to bring more positivity to your life
7:25 The ways positivity relates to mindfulness
8:48 Her "broaden-and-build" theory and how it works
10:59 How you can get started on the path to positivity
- Interview with Stuart Brown
- Interview with Deepak Chopra
- Interview with Barbara Dossey
- Interview with Eve Edelstein
- Interview with Susan Folkman
- Interview with Susan Frampton
- Living with Positivity: an Interview with Dr. Barbara Fredrickson
- Teaching Mindfulness to Children: An Interview with Susan Kaiser Greenland
- Interview with Mimi Guarneri
- Interview with Wayne Jonas
- Interview with James Lynch
- Interview with Thomas Moore
- Interview with Matthieu Ricard
- Interview with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- Interview with Paul Schultz
- Interview with Shauna Shapiro
- Interview with Esther Sternberg
- Interview with Russell Targ
- Interview with Dr. Walter Willett