Everyone has a different idea of what their purpose is and what makes life meaningful. But it generally involves five different aspects.
- “I’m a strong person who can handle anything.”
- “I’m a creative type, more sensitive than others.”
- “I’m an athlete/scholar/artist.”
- “My family always comes first.”
- “If I don’t have time to play guitar each day, I tend to feel antsy.”
- “When I see others in my situation, I feel less alone.”
- “Prayer makes me feel protected and comforted.”
- “My little sister looks up to me, so I want to be strong.”
- “I am determined to get my economics degree and become a professor.”
- “I am the problem-solver in my friend group.”
- “I always try to be kind to everyone, even if I don’t know them.”
Everyone’s sense of meaning and purpose changes throughout life, but you might notice that these aspects of your life shift dramatically when you are faced with challenges.