Skip to main content
symmetrical pattern mandala - green yellow

How can I find a music therapist?

Music therapist

What is a music therapist? 

Music therapists are required to complete a bachelor’s degree in music therapy with a six month internship. Following this, music therapists take an exam to be board-certified. Individuals in the United States, who pass this exam carry the designation of Board Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC). 

Some music therapists have advanced degrees in the field.   In addition, some therapists receive additional training in specialized music therapy approaches.

How can I find a music therapist?

The American Music Therapy Association represents over 5,000 music therapists and related associations worldwide. Music therapists who are members of AMTA abide by a Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice

The American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) strives to connect individuals seeking music therapy services in their area (throughout the United States) to a qualified music therapist. You can call the AMTA at (301) 589-3300 to speak with a representative who can connect you with a music therapist near you.

Music therapy may not be reimbursable by insurance, if you have a case manager, they may be able to help you find funding.  

© 2024 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement