Which of the following situations do you think can cause stress?
- The death of a significant other
- Getting the job you've always wanted
- Having a baby
- Moving into the house of your dreams
- Sleeping less than seven hours a night
- Starting a new exercise program
You might be surprised to learn that all of the above can create stress. Stressors are events or circumstances that trigger a stress response, and these events can range from things that people want and enjoy, as well as from things that are disagreeable. Worrying in anticipation about things that haven't happened (and might not even happen) can also cause stress that affects your body and mind.
Your own reaction to a particular stressor may be very different from another person’s, but with awareness, you can develop control over your response.